Friday, January 4, 2013

The First Steps

In the middle of Missouri River with my walking stick ""Elliot"

January 3, 2013

I started my walk at noon to the mournful sound of a riverboat steam whistle announcing lunch time. I started today to commemorate 75 years ago FDR signing into existence the March of Dimes. The first leg of the walk will be for all the victims of polio in Iowa. Over a 100 years the first reported cases of polio were registered. ( Polio in Iowa ). I grew up with friends who contracted polio and I remember iron lungs in the county hospital. Every spring brought worry of who else might catch the disease. In second grade I remember going to the lunchroom and getting the first of the Salk vaccine; hated the needle. Then several years later getting the new oral vaccine created by Dr. Sabin and soon you just didn't hear anymore about polio. 

Today I made 8 miles, a few miles less than the ten I had set as a goal. The last 3 miles were up and down the bluff getting out of Council Bluffs and there was ice on the sidewalk. But today I am starting out on the flat as I head out into the countryside on Old Railroad Road. I have now at least gained the confidence this thing is doable, but may have to adjust the 23 walking days to 30 since I walk a little slower than what Google used for an average. But I really enjoy being outdoors and having time to think without too much interference. Though I was probably quite comical as I tried to get my cell phone out from under my coat standing on the bridge, but thankfully that was the only call I got from work. I also moved the phone to a more convenient pocket on my coat verses under it so I could tweet and keep up with emails from work. 

I really appreciate all the retweeting ( @75MoDIA #walkacrossiowa ) everyone is doing and the emails going out to all our volunteers and friends. I hope this inspires others to participate in our 75th Anniversary.

SOMETHING I DISCOVERED WALKING

Alone with your thoughts as you place one foot in front of the other your senses catch things that just go by too fast in a car. As I walked I became aware of all the impressions in the concrete. Some of plants in the form of leaves or sticks and also animals. One particular block of concrete had a set of bicycle tire marks and a set of paw prints from a dog. I wonder if sometime in the future some intelligence will find that block and wonder at it. Concrete seems to be our modern analog to limestone. Then later in the walk I came across a toddler's footprint in an old section of side walk and smiled at the thought of all the feet that have been able to walk on this sidewalk because polio is no longer with us.

Cheers,
Ron

No comments: